Monday, August 11, 2008

Japanese Ghost ver.3




So, this is supposed to be the in-between image of version 1 and 2. Though I really like this painting, I have to admit that I failed to gap between the two paintings. The reason is that the first painting was very cartoony, and the second one was more realistic. Though I tried to combine two different elements, they were too different in terms of style.

Since this is the very changing sequence, I used a lot of gesture and movement. Other than the fact that I just mentioned, I like this version the best of all. I hope you liked this series of Ghost painting ! I remembered John Carpenter(famous horror movie director) said in his interview, that he didn`t know why, but making horror movie is really fun. I felt the same thing throughout this project. I wasn`t even brave enough to save reference ghost painting images in my PC folders, but painting ghosts was definitely fun !!

My next painting(or sketches) would be environment. I still haven`t decided if I keep on using the same theme(Japanese ghost) or something else. But hope you guys keep on visiting here : )

Mikio

6 comments:

Biker's Garage said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Grey said...

You really really really need to see the Horror short "Imprint" by Takashi Miike. It is on the "Masters of Horror" DVD which you can rent. It was so disturbing it was banned from showtime.

Your character reminds me of it a lot.

Grey said...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0757061/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/masters_of_horror_takashi_miike_imprint/

Ah Miike . . . disturbing as always.

mikio said...

Hey,Grey.

Thanks for visiting here :))

He seems to be more famous than in Japan, The original novel was kinda famous(written by shimako iwai),and I heard that the story is hyper disterbing. The book got the best prise of Japanese horror novel award and Yamamoto Shugorou award.I got surprised that the movie was made out of this book.

I`ll check it out and see how disturbing the character is :)

ps. Miike is making Yatterman right now. Amano Yoshitaka will be one of the concept artist!!

http://www.yatterman-movie.com/index2.html

Mikio

Buck Theorem said...

Hi again,

I am a big Miike fan, though I have only seen a handful of his vast output. I have seen "Imprint"... Miike is always a good shocker, but artful too.

Anyway, this sequence of ghost pictures were an admirable attempt; perhaps this middle, changing phase does not wholly convey the transformation (would you need to do a fourth painting for that?) but it is certainly no let down.

But they did not remind me of Miike so much; rather, the first reference that came to mind was the wonderful, scary "Kwaidan". I guess I always think of that for Asian ghost stories as it was my first introduction to the genre a looonngg time ago, and I still love it, despite how much I enjoy "Ringu" and "Ju-On" films.

I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Buck

mikio said...

Hi,Buck.

I`m agree with what you said about the transformation. Probably I could use more facial features of ver.2 too to tell that both are the same person/ghost. The transformation is difinitly something that I need to explore and practice more.

But this Ghost changing series have been an exciting challenge for me. Not sure about ver.4, coz so many projects ahead of me, :)

The word "Kwaidan", reminds me of Yotsuya Kwaidan(四谷怪談). Kwaidan means scary/strange story, and this Yotsuya Kwaidan is probably one of the most well known Kwaidan/scary story in Japan. The movie that you saw might be based on this. Seriously hyper scary,the movie and Rakugo(落語) have been made ouf of this story over and over again.

I think many Japanese consider Yotsuya Kwaidan as kinda architype of Ghost story. But these day, because of Japanese horror movie(Ringu,Juon), the architype of Japanese ghost and ghost story seem to be changing.Very interesting.

Anyway,I may do this ghost painting next year too!

Mikio