Monday, July 21, 2008

What`s fun/difficulty about designing concept?


Hope this scene helps to show his personality, yeah, he is not brave one.

Seeing many concept artists combine African culture into design(especially Starwars), I myself come to want to learn thier culture too. I think one of the reason that many people enjoy drawing concept stuff is because of this process, learning things in nature, things that surround us.

The task is really change real things into something new, based on concept/ideas. The trouble that I have is that I`m really bad at research skills, but I`m trying to improve this skill by drawing real things as much as I can before drawing concept stuff.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I reckon you definitely incorporated elements of African culture into this picture whilst keeping your own style. Cool.

I enjoy your pictures very much.

bUCK

mikio said...

Hello,Buck.

It was glad for me to hear that, coz
I failed to make my design understood to people few months ago, and got harsh critique about it. It is very fun and exciting to be able to communicate with art work : )

Mikio

Buck Theorem said...

Oh I think the African influence was very obvious once you pointed it out, but not at the expense of your own somewhat jubilant yet shadowy style. Keep the shadows, by the way, because they stop your style veering into "whacky".

The fact you have background scenery makes a big difference to this particular pictures. I hope you will keep adapting your backgrounds to put the characters in fascinating locations too.

I think I sensed you are able to filter your influences into a style instead of just copying them. I see a little classical, a little Manga, a little Gothic, a little comic book...

I am looking forward to the day you do a werewolf. I love werewolves. :)

best wishes,

Buck

mikio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mikio said...

Hi,Buck.

Thanks your feedback always!

Yeah,I grew up in Japan, reading tons of comic and Manga, plus I learned traditional art in LA, so all of those are mixed together to make my art work.

I`ve also been planning to work on environment, so you will see them too!

ps. I have tons of ideas for concept arts,but difinitely I add werewolves in my list :))

Mikio